Thursday, April 21, 2011

A horrible tragedy

Today I read about a young man, Emil Linnell that was very sick, and he called SOS Alarm and said that he think he took too many painkillers and that he couldn't breath and barely talk. He begged for help and that she would send an ambulance. But the nurse didn't belive him. She said that she could hear him breath just fine, and even mocked him. A moment after that Emil dies.
Stuff like this isn't suppose to happen at all. The nurses at SOS Alarm is suppose to send out an Ambulance if the person that is calling needs one. And not mock them.
They put up parts of the call that he made. I'm gonna translate it for my readers that don't know Swedish, because everybody should hear about this. It's not okay.

At first he calls SOS Alarm and tells them that he think he ate too many painkillers. He gives them his address and tells them he's sick, then the call ends. He calls them again.

SOS: There was some technical problems.
Emil: Okay, I need an ambulance. I keep fainting.
SOS: You ate two painkillers. Did you drink alcohol too?
Emil: No, I'm sick too. I have a fever.
SOS: Okay, you have a fever. Mm. How high is the fever?
(Panting and a thump)
SOS: Hallo? Hallo!
(Very heavy breathing)
SOS: Emil? Emil!
(Very heavy groaning and a few thumps. Slur "hallo?" somewhere in the room)
Emil: (can't hear) ambulance.
SOS: I'm sorry?
Emil: Where is my ambulance?
SOS: Do you need an ambulance?

Emil gives them his address again and tells them that he's having trouble breathing, and they put him through to a nurse.

Nurse: I don't get what you want help with because you're running around in the appartment and can breathe and talk just fine.
Emil: I can barely breath now.
Nurse: I know, I have been listening to you. You can breathe just fine.
Emil: No, I'm fainting! I'm fainting!
Nurse: Yes.
Emil: Is there an ambulance on it's way?
Nurse: No.
Emil: I need an ambulance.
Nurse: Yes, but I don't understand why you're running around in the appartment and saying...
Emil: I dropped the phone. Please, I can't breathe!
Nurse: You breathe fine now. Have you had panic attacks like this before?
Emil: No.
Nurse: No.
Emil: Please, I need an ambulance.
Nurse: Yes, but I...
Emil: I can't breathe!
Nurse: Can you take a deep breath?
Emil: No.
Nurse: But try to take a deep breath while I'm in the phone.
Emil: (panting) I can't.
Nurse: Yes, but take a deep breath now!
Emil: I can't! Help me! Please, help me!
Nurse: But you're breathing and talking fine now, I can hear you.
Emil: I have to struggle when I'm talking and breathing.
Nurse: I'm sorry?
Emil: I have to struggle when I'm talking and breathing. Please.
Nurse: But I can hear that you're not having any trouble breathing. I don't understand, is there something else? Are you in pain?
Emil: Yes, my whole body hurts.
Nurse: Have you done something the last couple of days?
Emil: I have been sick all week.
Nurse: Sick how?
Emil: Now my whole body is numb. Oh!
Nurse: Have you had a cold?
Emil: Yes, and now I can't breathe.
Nurse: But you're talking just fine, and I can't hear that you're having any trouble breathing?
Emil: I'm calling you because I can't breathe. Now I can't breathe at all.
Nurse: But your breathing is fine. I can't hear you're doing anything else but breathing.
Emil: Help!
Nurse: Just fine.
Emil: Please! Send an ambulance!
Nurse: Yes, but I can't tell that we need to send an ambulance because I can hear you breathing and that you're walking around.
Emil: I lie on the floor.
Nurse: You lie on the floor?
Emil: Yes.
Nurse: Mm.
Emil: Now it's... I don't now how much longer.
Nurse: Okay, but how are we going to get inside?
Emil: I have opened the door.
Nurse: You lay on the floor and now you're telling me that you have opened the door? Then you can walk.
Emil: Help, I'm panicking.
Nurse: Yes, I understand that. Have you had panicattacks like this before?
Emil: No.
Nurse: No. If you lie on the floor now, can you try... Are you on your back or on the side?
Emil: My back.
Nurse: Your back? Try to sit up, while I'm in the phone.
Emil: I can't.
Nurse: Sit up now!
Emil: I keep falling.
Nurse: No. Sit up now! You can hold the toilet, or the sink, or whatever is around you. Sit up now!
Emil: I can't breathe. Oh.
Nurse: Yes, but your breathing is just fine. I promise.
(wierd sounds and a thump)

Again you can hear Emil beg for an ambulance, without any response from the nurse at SOS Alarm.

Emil Linnell was only 23 years old when his spleen burst and he died. Because of an irresponsible nurse that didn't take him seriously. It's horrible... :( 
There is facebook-groups that is dedicated to Emil. It would be amazing if you guys that have facebook could join the groups, even if you don't live in Sweden or know the language. Because stuff like this can't happen again!


Please join the groups and support his family and friends, and help us to fight against irresponsible doctors and nurses that doesn't take their patients seriously. And please tell your friends and family and others about this so that more people can join.
My father told me that a guy at his work has a son, and Emil was a friend of the son. And apparently my sister knew who he was too. :(

Rest in Peace Emil Linnell. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment